Monday, February 25, 2008

Newsflash: Animals Aren't People

The city of Alexandria is going to have a Dangerous Dog Registry.

The crux of the article is the case of a six-pound yippy terrier that got chomped by a much bigger dog. And then, the kicker: the owners spent $13,000 on vetinarian bills, and the dog is still partially paralyzed. That amount of money would more than pay off my student loans, it would buy a car, it would provide a ton of supplies for a third-world elementary school.

I do like pets, so don't write me off as a callous animal-hater. I was an inconsolable mess eight years ago when my cat Smokey died. I had dogs growing up, and went away to horse camp. Animal abuse upsets me greatly, and I wanted Michael Vick to do a lot of hard time. But they're just animals. They aren't people, and they sure as heck aren't children (which is why the designation "furbaby" instead of "pet" annoys me).

So, put the poor terrier down, don't spend $13,000 just so she can have what amounts to a fairly lousy quality of life. Don't shell out for gourmet dog treats, cashmere sweaters, organic food, or any other accoutrement of yuppie doggie love. If you've got that much money and love to share, do something worthwhile with it. Your pet doesn't care one way or the other.

PS - Yes, I know animals/pets/"furbabies" are so incredibly wonderful because they provide unconditional love. My point exactly. They don't care about organic farm-fresh goodies or designer collars, and they sure as heck don't want you to shell out $13K just to be kept alive with a broken back. They love you unconditionally, remember?

No comments: