Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Temporarily Yours

I'm breaking a rule here, because I almost never discuss work. If you read between the lines, though, it's pretty obvious that I'm an office temp. I do mostly higher-end, longer-term assignments, and have been with the same agency for five years (not counting my stints overseas when I worked for the guv'ment).

There are some really great things about being a temp. Actually, if it paid more, I'd temp forever.

The Highs:
I'm always meeting new people and learning new things
If a position isn't a perfect fit, it isn't forever
I have contacts all over town and have made a lot of friends
I can refer to myself as an "office anthropologist"
I really and truly enjoy (and rock the house at) administrative work
People are very appreciative of the work I do, and I get lots of coffee gift cards and free food

The Lows:
Not much stability
Would YOU want to be 31 years old and paid by the hour?

I've been hunting for a permanent job for a while now. I specifically took time over the summer just temp and write, but started my job search in earnest in the fall. I'm grateful for the experiences I've had, grateful to have a roof over my head, and really happy I got the chance to try out so many different industries and jobs. The last year has given me a much better idea of who I am, what my strengths are, and who I want to be.

So, if you're at loose ends, give temping a try.

No comments: