Thursday, December 01, 2005

Hodgepodge of Procrastination

It's been over a month since my last confes...er, I mean blog post. I'm sorry guys, things have been super crazy lately. I'll just give the highlights:

I'm famous!

The Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide (they were the Foreign Service Wives or something like that in the Dark Ages) has posted this blog on their list of Foreign Service family websites. Check it out: http://www.aafsw.org/overseas/blogs.htm

Shot for a Shot, On the Clock

Lord knows how I got official approval to do this, but a few weeks ago I organized a Shot for a Shot happy hour with the Health Unit. If you got your flu shot, you got a ticket for one free Jell-O shot at the next Embassy happy hour. It was gloriously tacky, and 75 more people got flu shots this year than last year.

The Marine Ball: It's Kind of Like the Prom, But This Time Around I Had a Date and Actually Showed Up

The next day, Matt and I attended the Marine Ball, which celebrates the birthday of the United States Marine Corps. We got all gussied up in formalwear and went down to the Holiday Inn (sadly, Sarajevo's poshest hotel is a Holiday Inn). We brought the leftover Jell-O shots with us, so our table was festive indeed. Our table also got much, much noisier as the evening progressed. By midnight, a bunch of normally very official Americans were swilling cocktails and dancing (very badly) to hip hop. Some hardier souls attempted a Rockettes line, which didn't last very long.

Thanksgiving

Merrill and Anne came to see us for Thanksgiving, and we had a raucous good time. Between all of the standard tourist stuff, we consumed 9 bottles of wine in one day, then sang karaoke. Skye sent a Playstation game called Karaoke Revolution, and all of you have to go out and buy it right now. My character was a pudgy white-boy rapper I dubbed "Hot Bitch." We also attended a fashion show, complete with catwalk, pretentious fashions, and male models in their underwear. Anne and I liked the last part the best.

Other Stuff

I have to admit my job is wearing on me a little. I'm supposed to be responsible for the Embassy's morale, but what do you do about people who just don't want to be happy? It can be emotionally draining to deal with all the pettiness and gossip of Embassy life. My latest solution has been to ignore everyone who doesn't completely kiss my butt. Hey, if it works for the President, why can't it work for me? I'm looking forward to when my coworker comes back from maternity leave and I can go back to 20 hours a week. In the meantime, I've learned that bake sales really do matter.

No comments: